Tuesday 17 March 2015

The Start of Spring Migration

On Saturday I managed to get an opportunity to go to Grimley in the afternoon. Now it is March I knew that there was a chance of seeing some early migratory species. There is something quite exciting about the migration period. You never know what might turn up and there is always the hope of some rarities.

Robin



On this occasion I was only out of the car a few minutes when I heard a sound that I had not heard for a long time. A sound that, for me, is connected to the warm sunny days of spring and summer. I had to double check but it was defiantly the chaff chiff chaff chiff sound of one of the most recognisable warblers, the Chiffchaff. It did not take very long to get a sighting. Then there was another and another and another. I counted a total of 6 individuals, but there were possibly more.

Chiffchaff


My walk around Camp Lane Pits proceeded after the excitement of the Chiffchaff's and when I reached the main north pool a glance through the binoculars had small birds flying fast across my view. Sand martins.

I love the hirundines and their connection to summer, but today with a strong cold wind and temperatures barely into double figures you had to feel sorry for these little birds. Having just arrived in the UK after fighting for their lives crossing the Sahara Desert and Mediterranean Sea on their 3000 mile journey. Not bad for a small bird that weighs about 14 grams.

Tree Full of Sand Martins - Taken March 2014


At the far north end of Camp Lane Pits I spotted a collection of Meadow Pipits. As I was watching them move across the grass bank I noticed something a little different. One was not a Meadow Pipit but a rather more handsome bird, a Wheatear. In fact there were two males. These are birds that are passing through on their way to their upland breeding grounds to the north and west. Wheatears winter in sub-Sahara Africa however, their breeding range is right across the northern hemisphere. They are indeed the only species to breed in North America and winter in Africa. They can breed as far west as Alaska. This makes their migration one of the longest of all bird species.

Wheatear - Taken by Gabe Ison April 2014 



Now we are into the migration season I am excited about what might show up. It is important to get out and take notice of all that is around. Who knows what you might see and where you might see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment