Tuesday 24 March 2015

Hen Harriers, National Bird and Some Worcester Wildlife.


There is currently a significant national vote approaching us on May 7th. It's not the general election, but Britain's vote for our national bird. A few months ago we were asked to select 6 birds out of 60. This has brought the list down to a short list of 10 birds. We, the nation, now have to vote for our favourite. I have cast my vote and I voted for the Hen Harrier.

Photo: Andy Hay (www.rspb-images.com). 


The reason behind my vote is simple: they are being persecuted. Part of that persecution is historical, part is a misunderstanding and part is ignorance. But none-the-less the Hen Harriers are being shot and poisoned by grouse gamekeepers. It is the desire for the grouse moors to be as full of grouse as possible. So when beating takes place there are more grouse for the shooters to shoot at. This management of the moors requires the removal of natural predators of grouse. The Hen Harrier is a predator of grouse so gamekeepers will want to remove them from the moors, this practice is illegal but still takes place. A lot of people in the UK are unaware of the persecution and my vote for the Hen Harrier is to aid the raising of awareness.

picture copyright Barry O’Donoghue NPSW


I am also Voting for the Hen Harrier because it is supposed to be a fantastically breathtaking and stunning bird to see. However, I would never know as I have never seen one. I would love to see one but the odds of seeing one in England are stacked against me. The number of Hen Harriers in England is down to 6. This is needs serious action to turn things around.



To some this may not be important. But we need our biodiversity, it helps shape our natural world and boosts the productivity of ecosystems. In addition, all life has evolved with other species around it; no species lives in isolation. We have to try to conserve as many species as possible. Taking note of what we see is important and it will enrich our lives and our understanding.

Colt's-foot
On my walk around Worcester on Sunday two species stood out. First the Colt's-foot. A pretty little flower. It is an opportunist that will colonise waste ground and footpath edges where other species find more difficult. Clearly not as charismatic as a Hen Harrier but still valuable in its own way. In fact it can be used as a medicine to treat problems with the respiratory tract, cough's, colds and flu, but is also toxic in higher doses so can cause damage to the liver.

Comma - Taken March 2015


I also spotted my first Comma Butterfly of the year. I love these butterflies as they give me hope. They once suffered severe decline and were confined to the Welsh borders. Since the 1960's they have made a come back. Their come back is due to them changing their preference of larval food from hops to common nettles. My hope is that the Hen harrier can do the same thing and make a comeback, but they will need our help and support.

Comma - taken July 2014

Vote for the National Bird

Ban Driven Grouse Shooting Petition






No comments:

Post a Comment