Thursday 26 February 2015

Trio of Waterside Birds in Central Tiverton

Tiverton is where I grew up and indeed where my parents still live. As a result it is somewhere we visit often. It is also where I first developed my love of wildlife and natural history. It is a real pleasure to come back and visit regularly. My parents have a large garden with lots of interesting wildlife, unfortunately, due to their neighbour selling his land to a property developer the wildlife has been reduced somewhat!!! 


Tiverton


River Exe


My main target this holiday was for a more urban encounter. Whilst Tiverton is not a teaming metropolis it is indeed a built up environment where we don't expect to see much wildlife.  However, I have set myself a trio of birds to spot right in the centre of the town. The birds were three small water birds.


Buzzard


On Monday morning I set off full of anticipation and expectation. First we had to walk along the A396 and then on to the Exe river walk. It is here that my search started. Looking out on the the river bank, every time I saw something move I lifted my binoculars to my eyes. First a Wren, then a Song Thrush, then a Blue Tit. Then my wife saw target bird number one, and I, out of the corner of my eye saw a flash of iridescent blue with the sound of “zii-ti, zii-ti, zii-ti”. It had flown towards the town centre. But not too far away and we could see it perched on a branch hanging over the river. We watched if for a few minutes hoping to see it fish, but the numbers of people around meant it didn't stay put for too long. 






Number two was soon spotted as another flash of yellow flew passed and landed a few metres away on the concrete bank. Gray wagtail is one of my favourite birds and one that I love to see. I think I am hypnotised by its tail wagging. I spent the next half hour chasing it up and down the river trying to photograph it. I had a brief attempt to find bird number 3, but unfortunately I could not see it, giving in quite quickly and deciding to go for a coffee and piece of cake. 


Grey Wagtail


The next day myself and my wife went to dartmoor for a two day walk with wild camp. On our return we were informed by my son that he had seen my illusive bird number 3 on his walk. That was it, Thursday first thing we were off. Only we woke to some classic Devon rain. It rarely rains all day in Devon so I spent the morning looking out of the window hoping for it to stop, whilst watching the bird life of my parents garden (20 species in total). It eventually stopped raining and we were off. I first had to convince my children to come along by bribing them with sweets.


Black-Headed Gull
Herring Gull

On our walk into town we very easily spotted the Kingfisher and Grey wagtail again, but that was all. A quick stop for sweets and we were back along the river Exe. Eyes were focused on the rocks on the opposite bank. Then I spotted two kingfishers flying up river just as my son spotted our target bird flying down stream. The excitement was eminence as we followed its path down river. There it was bobbing up and down on a rock before diving into the fast flowing rapids of the river Exe under a road bridge in the centre of Tiverton. A Dipper. 





The amazing thing is on this afternoon we spotted these birds in a town centre on a busy river walk. With young families feeding ducks (and pigeons/gulls) and people walking dogs, none of them aware of these wonderful and beautiful birds flying past. Dippers are amazingly adapted little birds. 

  • They have evolved several adaptions to help them live a semi-aquatic life. They have an extra thick layer of down to keep them warm in the cold river. 
  • They also have a special gland that secrets an oil which they spread on their feathers to keep them waterproof.  
  • A movable flap on their nostril which they close when under water. 
  • They also have a third eyelid that they use like a windscreen wiper underwater
  • They also have higher concentrations of haemoglobin in their blood so they can spend longer underwater. 
All in all they are great little birds that are perfectly evolved for their place in the ecosystem. 


2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyable read Laurie , well done on seeing your target birds especially the Dipper .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was pleased about seeing the dipper top bird.

      Delete